Friday 26 July 2013

J.K. Rowling Reveals Reason Behind Secret Pen Name!

jk rowling reveals reason behind secret pen name robert galbraithe

J.K. Rowling put a real Confundus charm on us!

After making a beloved name for herself as an author by writing the already classic Harry Potter series, she chose to give that name up and write under a pseudonym!

Why would she want to hide her lumos under a bushel like that? It was all about the work being judged on its own. She says:

"I was yearning to go back to the beginning of a writing career in this new genre, to work without hype or expectation and to receive totally unvarnished feedback. It was a fantastic experience and I only wish it could have gone on a little longer."

And she would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn lawyers! Srsly, what bad secret-keepers!

Gurl says taking off the invisibility cloak was def NOT part of the plan! She says:

"If anyone had seen the labyrinthine plans I laid to conceal my identity (or indeed my expression when I realised that the game was up!) they would realise how little I wanted to be discovered."

Fair enough! But why this particular nom de plume? Surely there are easier names to market than Robert Galbraith! She says:

"I chose Robert because it is one of my favourite men’s names, because Robert F. Kennedy is my hero and because, mercifully, I hadn’t used it for any of the characters in the Potter series or The Casual Vacancy.

Galbraith came about for a slightly odd reason. When I was a child, I really wanted to be called ‘Ella Galbraith,' and I’ve no idea why."

Hmm! Maybe she'll solve that mystery in her next book! But will we know it's her?

[Image via Mavrix Online.]

Tags: bookz, harry potter, j.k. rowling, mystery, reveals reason, robert galbraith, secret pen name



No comments:

Post a Comment